- Job title:
- Exhibitions & Events Officer
- Manchester Craft & Design Centre
- When you joined the organisation:
- March 2013
Please describe your involvement with the Centre, going into relevant detail about your responsibilities and an average day, week, month or year in your role.
I am responsible for organising the public programme of exhibitions and events here at MCDC. Each year, I organise three exhibitions in the Centre, as well as public creative workshops (as part of our Make with Makers series), and creative professional development sessions which help our tenants and local creatives successfully develop their businesses.
Please name five things that you love about the Centre, independent craft and design and/or the arts, providing further reflection if you are inspired to do so.
– I absolutely love the building! The beautiful former fish market appeals to my love of all things Victorian.
– MCDC has a real community feel – every time I walk through the building I chat to a different one of our resident makers.
– MCDC is unique in that you can pick up one-off handmade items whilst watching things being made too.
– The variety of objects here – from knitted cactus pin cushions to wedding rings, and lampshades to paper owls…
– Manchester always has lots of arts and cultural events going on, particularly in the Northern Quarter where we are based.
What do you consider to be your greatest achievement to date, personally or professionally?
I’ve absolutely loved working on such a variety of exhibitions here at MCDC. I’ve worked with a huge variety of makers, from those who’ve just graduated to those who have been working as artists and makers for their whole careers. In the exhibitions here I’ve worked with ceramics, glass, textiles, furniture, paper and more – but to date my personal pride and joy here was SEED, a massive architectural installation designed and made by James Donegan, as part of a RIBA-supported competition. I organised the competition, watched the CNC production process, and helped to build the structure inside MCDC.
What is the one, major ambition you still hope to fulfil out of everything you aspire to achieve?
I’m desperate to own a pug…