Located in the heart of Manchester City Centre’s creative Northern Quarter, Manchester Craft & Design Centre is home to 18 independent studio shops housing over 30 makers, artists and designers.
We accept applications for our waiting list all year round. Current opportunities are listed below.
What makes Manchester Craft & Design Centre different is the unique combination of affordable studio space (from £60 per month*) in a City Centre location, and the opportunity to sell directly to over 100,000 members of the public who visit the Centre every year.
In addition, our Resident Makers benefit from:
- Our targeted Marketing, PR & Advertising activity which includes our website, email newsletters, social media, print and distribution.
- Access to our heavily subsidised programme of Creative Business Development workshops.
- The chance to be part of a creative community of makers, artists and designers, to experience the social side of studio life and to access support from our experienced staff team.
- Opportunities to exhibit and sell at high-profile events such as Buy Art Fair and the Great Northern Contemporary Craft Fair.
- Free Wi-Fi.
- 24 hour access.
- The draw of our innovative and exciting programme of events and exhibitions.
- The opportunity to sell in our online shop.
Is MCDC the right place for you?
I love working at the Manchester Craft and Design Centre, as it allows me to interact with the end user. I watch what images people are attracted to and try and understand what makes that design more commercially successful than the one sitting next to it. – Kate Knight
We pride ourselves on supporting, developing, showcasing and selling unique and talented makers, artists and designers. We champion original work, made by craftspeople and designers who produce unique or limited-batch work that demonstrates genuine skill and ambition.
We actively encourage and support makers working in materials including (but not limited by): jewellery, silver and other metalwork, ceramics, textiles, woodwork (including furniture), glass, and paper.
As a contemporary crafts organisation, we will NOT as a priority support or exhibit fine art, painting, drawing, or sculpture, or traditional and heritage craftwork or design that seeks to restore or reproduce.
You can download our Artistic Policy.
We look for people who are excellent at what they do and have a real passion for contemporary craft and design. If the combination of working studio and retail space is right for you (whether you are a sole trader, a partnership or a collective) we’d love to hear from you!
We accept applications for studio space all year round. A member of our team will contact you within 2 weeks of submitting your application. Successful applicants will be added to our waiting list and contacted when a suitable vacancy becomes available.
For enquiries please contact the management team on 0161 832 4274 or email email@example.com
(images © Visit England)
*Based on three sharing a small studio.
- MCAD Artistic Policy MCAD-Artistic-Policy-2017.pdf