We are looking for an external evaluator to help us review and learn from our Hands On Business Support Bursary Project.
Context of Hands On
Manchester Craft and Design Centre houses 20 studios in the Northern Quarter with a café, exhibition and events space, and supportive staff team. Our studios are open to the public, where our community of makers create and sell their work. We are a place where people can come and learn about craft – by visiting our exhibitions, taking part in workshops to learn new skills or buying from our studios.
At the moment, our community of makers doesn’t reflect the population of Greater Manchester. To begin to address this, we’ve recently secured funding for three makers who identify as coming from a background that is under-represented in the arts and cultural sector to receive a bursary, alongside business support, studio access and an exhibition over a six-month period.
Our Hands On business support bursary project has now begun and to ensure the project has a legacy that we can learn from to shape future programmes and funding bids, we are looking to commission an external evaluator to help us evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of the project and where we can improve.
Outcomes for the Hands On Bursary
By the end of the project, makers will be confident in the path of their career, have a flexible roadmap of how to get there and the tools necessary to take action.
Evaluation should measure against the following deliverables:
- Successful implementation of the above outcome for makers
- Application process – engaging with those disadvantaged in the craft community, language use in the application process, timeframes and evaluation process
- Business support programme – successfully addressed needs of the makers, and provided adequate support to engage in the opportunities provided by the project
- Any other areas that may have been missed by the team that would have provided value for the participants
We have a total budget of £1800 including VAT for a consultant to help us evaluate this project.
In order to evaluate the above outcomes, we suggest that the following activity take place as part of the evaluation:
- Review of the call out for applications to the bursary and feedback on how we can better reach makers about future projects
- Interviews with each maker (3 makers) to get their feedback on the project at an early stage and towards the end of the bursaries
- Interviews with key staff members involved in the project
- Review of key policy documents (e.g. Artistic Policy, Studio Recruitment Policy)
- An External Evaluation report from the above research in the form of written feedback, presentation or another format to be agreed upon
How to Apply
To apply for this consultancy please provide:
- Your name and contact information
- A summary of how your experience and knowledge would suit this project
- A summary of how you would approach the project and present your evaluation
- A fee proposal including day rate and number of days proposed
- A copy of your CV
- Details of two relevant referees
- Confirmation of when you would be able to start the work
Please send these details to email@example.com by 10am Monday 2 August 2021. Video applications will also be accepted.
- Sessions can take place at Manchester Craft and Design Centre, or be held online.
- A final evaluation can be presented in any way that you feel is appropriate for the project but must be recorded in some way for future reference (eg. Written evaluation, recorded presentation with slides)
- The deadline for final evaluation is the end of November 2021.
If you would like to discuss the opportunity further or have accessibility requirements please do not hesitate to get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org